Her Master graduation thesis was called “Obesidad, Inflamación y Complicaciones Asociadas: Estudio de la función de la citoquina Cardiotrofina-1 y sus potenciales aplicaciones terapéuticas” ("Obesity, Inflammation and Associated Complications: Study of the function of the cytokine Cardiotrophin-1 and its potential therapeutic applications"). This work was funded by the Departamento de Salud del Gobierno de Navarra and the Fundación Mutua Madrileña, and was carried out jointly with the Departamento de Ciencias de la Alimentación, Fisiología y Toxicología (CAFT) of the Universidad de Navarra and the Centro de Investigación Médica Aplicada (CIMA), under the guidance of Dr. María Jesús Moreno-Aliaga and Dr. Matilde Bustos.
Carolina is a member of the Asosiación de Nutricionistas de Guatemala (ANDEGUAT) and of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (www.eatright.org)
As part of her training, Carolina has participated in different Congresses and Update Conferences, the following are worth mentioning:
• XXVIII Summer Course of the Universidad del País Basco: "Frontiers in human nutrition: from molecular nutrition towards personalized obesity nutrigenomics". San Sebastian, Spain.
• III Industry Symposium of the Universidad de Navarra: “La Industria Alimentaria en el Siglo XXI” ("The Food Industry in the XXI Century"). Pamplona, Spain.
• 3rd Update Conference: “Nutrición Basada en el Conocimiento” ("Nutrition Based on Knowledge"), Universidad de Navarra, Spain.
• 2nd Nutrition and Neuroscience Symposium, Université Bordeaux, France.
• 5th Meeting of CTP Network, Working Community of the Pyrenees, Universidad de Navarra, Spain.
• Clinical Nutrition Week of the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.): "A Scientific and Clinical Forum and Exposition". Chicago, USA.
Carolina was elected national in Softball during the period of 1998 to 2000 in the Minors and from 2001 to 2004 in the Majors. She was a flamenco dancer at the Academia Mary Farrington for 11 years and was Miss Teen Guatemala in 2001-2002.
Carolina is currently in the field of Clinical Nutrition and is the mother of two boys and one girl.